All About the Environment Rating Scales
The Environment Rating Scales® (ERS®) is a reliable, valid, research-based observational tool which is designed to assess the quality of the environment. Bright & Early ND will determine which ERS tool to use in your program based off your program type.
Preschool and Center-Based Programs
- The Infant Toddler Environment Rating Scale®, Third Edition (ITERS-3™) is used in classrooms with children age birth to 36 months.
- The Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale®, Third Edition (ECERS-3™) is used in classrooms with children age 3 to 5 years.
For a Step 2 Quality Rating, programs must earn an average program score of 3.5 or greater for each tool used. Observations are conducted in 33% of randomly selected classrooms.
Family and Group Programs
- The Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale® (FCCERS-R™) is used with mixed ages and accommodates the wider age range often found in family child care programs. One observation is conducted per family or group child care program. Please note, if your program separates by age groups, multiple observations may be conducted.
For a Step 2 Quality Rating, programs must earn an average program score of 4.0 or greater.
Useful ERS Resources
Environment Rating Scale Training Opportunities
Bright & Early ND is bringing the Environment Rating Scales directly to you! Depending on your program type, the following options will be available (available July 1st, 2019):
Introduction to the ITERS-3 and ECERS-3
This is an online virtual training, sponsored by Bright & Early ND, which focuses on the Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale, Third Edition (ECERS-3) and the Infant/Toddler Environment Rating Scale, Third Edition (ITERS-3). Discussion and ideas will be shared on the indicators and items within the subscales. Participants will set goals to help them implement new ideas and best practices into their classrooms and help guide them to provide intentional, meaningful environments for the children they care for.
Examples of programs that might attend this training include: Preschool and Center-Based programs or Group programs located in a facility.
For programs that have a current Bright & Early ND Quality Rating, we are offering this course at a discounted rate of $15 per person, that’s a savings of 50%!
The 2019-2020 dates for the Introduction to the ITERS-3 and ECERS-3 will be released soon! Registration information is sent via email. If you are interested in this course and haven’t received an invitation, please reach out to the Bright & Early ND Team.
FCCERS-R 101 ND Community of Practice
This is an online training, in partnership with the ERS Institute, which focuses on the Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale, Revised Edition (FCCERS-R). Participants will have approximately 6 weeks to complete the ND Growing Futures approved Career Pathways 5-hour training. The training is organized into three sections:
- Section 1: Chapter 1 gives a detailed overview of the FCCERS-R tool.
- Section 2: Chapter 2 allows you to practice scoring with the FCCERS-R tool using actual videos embedded into the coursework.
- Section 3: Community Discussion Board allows you to respond to questions posed regarding implementation of the FCCERS-R into your program.
Examples of programs that might attend this training include: Family child care providers or Group programs located in a home.
For programs that are currently participating in a Bright & Early ND cohort, we are offering this course at no cost (a value of $150)! Registration information is sent via email. If you are interested in this course and haven’t received an invitation, please reach out to the Bright & Early ND Team.