About Bright & Early ND
Bright & Early ND is North Dakota’s Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS). A QRIS is a systematic approach to assess, improve, and communicate the level of quality in early childhood programs. Bright & Early ND was developed to help early childhood programs offer high-quality care that supports each child's learning and development.
Bright & Early ND is designed to:
- Ensure that all children have high-quality early experiences that help them develop the skills they need to be successful in school, work, and life.
- Support early childhood professionals to provide high-quality care by offering resources such as professional development opportunities, coaching, and financial supports.
- Help families find high-quality early childhood programs that fit their needs by providing information about program quality.
The North Dakota Department of Human Services (DHS) administers Bright & Early ND as a key strategy for quality improvement under North Dakota law (NDCC 50-11.1).
Provide a Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) that recognizes, improves, and communicates the level of quality in early childhood programs across our state.
- To recognize early childhood programs that provide quality care,
- To encourage early childhood programs to increase the level of quality they are providing, and
- To provide families with information and choices about quality early care and education.
All of North Dakota's children have access to high-quality early learning experiences that help them develop the skills they need to be successful in school, work, and life.
Bright & Early ND Policies
The Bright & Early ND Policy Manual is designed to help early childhood programs understand key components of Bright & Early ND. This manual provides a detailed overview of Bright & Early ND policies and serves as a reference tool throughout participation.
- Bright & Early ND Policy Manual (PDF, 638 KB)