Step 2: Space & Materials
What are the goals in Step 2?
- Offer a variety of materials to support play and learning experiences for children with different interests and abilities.
- Serve nutritious food to children.
Why is Step 2 important?
A child’s work is play! Having enough of the right materials that are set-up in a chosen space encourages children to play. When children develop good play skills, they are better prepared for school, work and life.
How do I show that I meet the Step 2 Quality Standards?
- Demonstrate how your program serves nutritious food to children. Choose 1 of 4 options that best fits your program.
- Demonstrate how you use your space & materials to support play and learning experiences through an Environment Rating Scale® (ERS®) observation. The Environment Rating Scale® is a reliable, valid, research-based observational tool, which is designed to assess the quality of the environment. A Bright & Early ND Assessor completes an ERS® observation and programs must earn an average score of 4.0 or greater on each tool used.
- Meet Professional Development Quality Standards
- Plus, the Health and Safety Quality Standards in Step 1.
Ready for the next Step?
The Bright & Early ND Quality Rating process is implemented during four cycles, referred to as cohorts. Think of this period as time where you will work with a Coach, learn from other programs, pinpoint your strengths, take training and reach your quality goals! Cohorts are available throughout the year, specific dates and time frames are listed below:
Quality Standards Inventory Due:
| March 9th
|| December 31st
|| December 1st
| June 9th
|| March 31st
| September 9th
|| June 30th
|| June 1st
Programs can apply for Bright & Early ND cohorts at anytime, but are only reviewed four times per year (December 15th, March 15th, June 15th, September 15th). Upon application review, a member of the Bright & Early ND Team will contact you 2 weeks prior to the start of the cohort to inform you of your applications status.
Check out the Bright & Early ND Helpful Resources for a step-by-step tutorial on 'How to Apply for a Bright & Early ND Cohort'. Don't forget to bookmark this page to stay connected to the most current Bright & Early ND resources and information!