Step 1: Health & Safety
What is the goal in Step 1?
Provide a safe and healthy environment for children focused on preventing injuries and reducing the spread of germs.
Why is Step 1 important?
Children need to be healthy and feel safe to learn and grow. It’s the first step in preparing children to be ready for school, work and life.
How do I show that I meet the goals in Step 1?
- Serve children between the ages of birth to five
- Licensed by the North Dakota Department of Human Services for at least 1 year
- License is in good standing. This means that the program has not had a corrective action taken (correction order; intent to revoke or revocation; intent to deny or denial of application; provisional license) inclusive of these categories in the last 1- 2 years. (Bright & Early verifies the status of your license with your county licenser.)
- Program has an active Organization account with the ND Growing Futures Workforce Registry.
- For Family and Group Child Care programs, the program Licensee is the designated account manager of the organization account. For Preschool and Center-based programs, the program Owner/Director is the designated account manager of the organization account.
- All current employees are listed under the program's Organization account.
- All employees are members of the ND Growing Futures Workforce Registry with a current Career Pathway placement and meet licensing standards according to Career Pathway A with the exception of the following:
- Employees that are under 18 years of age.
Why should I do Step 1 when I’m already licensed?
- Gain recognition from parents as a program who is eager to go above + beyond for their child. Your status as a Bright & Early ND partner is shared with the 6,200 parents searching for child care every year through Child Care Aware of North Dakota®.
- Earn exclusive partner benefits.
- It's easy- there's no extra work. Just a few questions + you're in!
Resources to Help with Step 1
Ready for More?
Rise to the challenge by working on your space & materials in Step 2